close arrow-right twitter
School Logo

Easton Primary School

Special Educational Needs and Disability


Welcome to the Special Educational Needs or Disability Information Report for Easton Primary School. This report forms part of the Suffolk Local Offer for Special Educational Needs and Disability. As a school we think it is important that parents and carers have access to this information. We have a legal duty to publish this information and to review it annually.


This report was last reviewed 5.9.2023

What is the local offer?

Following the Children and Families Act (2014), the Special Education Needs and Disability Code of Practice: 0 to 25 years (2014) became effective from the 1st of September 2014. From this date, local authorities and schools are required to publish information about services they expect to be available to support children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities. The Local Authority refers to this as the ‘Local Offer’. Our Local Authority is Suffolk County Council.


The Local offer is designed to provide families with transparent choices. It’s an important resource that helps parents understand the range of services and provision available and help them make informed choices and decisions.


More information can be found on:

What is the Special Educational Needs or Disability Report?

The Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report is specific to our school and includes information regarding the provision for pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disability that is available at our school. The School Special Educational Needs and Disability Information Report forms part of the Local Authority’s Local Offer.

How does the School know if my child needs extra help?

We know when pupils need help if:

  • concerns are raised by parents/carers, teachers or the child,
  • limited progress is being made and there is poor attainment,
  • there is a change in the pupil’s behaviour or progress,
  • poor performance on tests,
  • transition conversations from a previous setting,
  • liaison with external agencies, such as health agencies.


What kinds of SEND does the school provide for?

Our Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENDCo) is Miss Rivera. She supports our staff in a variety of approaches which mean we are able to adapt to a range of SEND which fall under the four broad areas of need: Cognition and learning; communication and interaction, social, emotional and mental health; sensory or physical.


What should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

The class teacher is the initial point of contact for responding to parental concerns. If you have further concerns then contact the Special Educational Needs and Disability Coordinator (SENDCo). Details as follows:


School                              SENDCo             Executive Head         Head of School

Easton Primary School      Miss C Rivera      Mr J Ratcliffe              Miss C Rivera


How will the School support my child?

Each pupil’s education programme will be planned by the class teacher in conjunction with the SENDCo. It will be differentiated accordingly to suit the pupil’s individual needs. This may include additional general support by the teacher or teaching assistant in class. Pupil Progress Meetings are held each term. This is a meeting where the class teacher meets with the Principal/Senior Leadership Team to discuss the progress of the pupils in their class. This shared discussion may highlight any potential problems in order for further support to be planned.


The level of support your child receives will depend on their needs which we know can change over time. It is our aim to be responsive to any developing and emerging needs.

  • The teacher has the highest possible expectations for all pupils.
  • Teaching is carefully planned to build on what the child can already do and understand so as to accelerate progress.
  • Different ways of teaching are put in place so the child is fully involved in learning.
  • Specific strategies (which may have been suggested by the Special Educational Needs Coordinator or another professional) are put into place to support the child’s learning.

Some children may take part in specific group work with a smaller group of children. Such groups are put together to address specific gaps that have been identified in a child’s learning and will be closely monitored to ensure that they are resulting in good progress for the child. These groups may be:

  • Run in the classroom or outside the classroom.
  • Run by a teacher or teaching assistant who has had training to run these groups, usually school staff but sometimes from an approved outside agency which would only be done with a parent’s permission.

We keep records of children’s progress on interventions and the interventions that they take part in are recorded on the school provision map. If you have any queries related to the interventions please speak to the SENDCo or class teacher.

If, despite the support put in place, a child is continuing not to make expected progress it is at this stage that we may consider adding the child’s name to the school’s Special Educational Needs register. This process will be discussed with parents and they will be notified in writing. The time a child remains on the Special Educational Needs register varies, however, if targeted support has been effective and your child has made sufficient progress they may be removed from the register and monitored. Again, this will be discussed with parents. Occasionally a pupil may need expert support from an outside agency such as, for example, Speech and Language Therapy or behaviour support and then a referral will be made, with your consent and forwarded to the most appropriate agency. After a series of assessments, a programme of support is usually provided to the school and parents/carers.



For children whose needs are severe, complex and lifelong the school (or parents) can request that the local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of the child’s needs. This is a legal process you can find out more about by looking at Suffolk County Council’s Local Offer.

After a request has been made to the Local Authority they will decide whether they think the child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If they do they will ask parents and all professionals involved with the child to write a report outlining the child’s needs. If they do not think this is necessary, they will ask the school to continue with the support they are providing and may make suggestions as to how this can be further improved.

If they do decide to carry out statutory assessment, the reports requested by the Local Authority will be carefully collated and they will write an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). The ECHP will outline the support the child will receive from school and any other agencies involved in their care and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for the child. It will then be regularly reviewed, with the child and parents providing input as to how well it is meeting their needs.

Please see flow chart below to help clarify this process.

How will the curriculum be matched to my child’s needs?

When a pupil has been identified with special needs their work will be differentiated by the class teacher to enable them to access the curriculum more easily.

Teaching Assistants (TAs) may be allocated to work with the pupil in a 1:1 or small focus group to target more specific needs.

If a child has been identified as having a special educational need, they will be given a SEND support plan. Targets will be set according to their area of need. These will be monitored by the class teacher weekly and by the SENDCo three times per year. Support plans will be discussed with parents at Parents’ Evenings and a copy given to them.

If it is recommended then appropriate specialist equipment may be given to the pupil e.g. writing slopes, concentration cushions, pen/pencils grips or easy to use scissors. This equipment will be recommended by Occupational Therapists occasionally.


How will I know how my child is doing?

You will be able to discuss your child’s progress at Parents’ Evenings and will receive two reports throughout the year. If your child has a support plan you will also be asked to review your child’s targets and set new ones with the class teacher.

Your child’s class teacher will be available face to face or via email if you need advice, have concerns or would like an update. They will book an appropriate time to speak to you.  If you need an additional meeting please send emails to Appointments can be made to speak in more detail to the class teacher or SENDCo by visiting the school .


How will you help me to support my child’s learning?

Daily reading with your child is probably one of the most effective (and enjoyable) ways you can help your child. Helping your child complete their reading journal will help them develop their reading and comprehension skills.

The class teacher may suggest ways of how you can support your child.

Learning conversation slips will be sent home each week for your child, please use these to engage with your child’s learning. Big Thinks are sent home half termly and will help your child develop a deeper understanding of a wider topic

If outside agencies or the Educational Psychologist have been involved suggestions and recommendations are normally provided that can be used at home.


What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The school offers a wide variety of pastoral support for pupils who are encountering emotional difficulties.

These include:

  • Members of staff such as the class teacher and SENDCo who are readily available for pupils who wish to discuss issues and concerns. Where appropriate mediation sessions are carried out.
  • Clubs will be made available for those who find lunchtimes a challenge.
  • Regular contact occurs with the County Inclusion Support Service and the SENDCo can discuss children with them as part of Inclusion Support Meetings.
  • Members of staff are trained in Drawing and Talking and Lego Therapy if required and this can be accessed via the SENDCo. 


Pupils with medical needs

If a pupil has a medical need then a detailed Care Plan is compiled with support from the school nurse/child's nurse in consultation with parents/carers. These are discussed with all staff who are involved with the pupil. A one page medical profile is also displayed around the school. 

Staff receive appropriate medicine administration training as required.

Where necessary and in agreement with parents/carers medicines are administered in school but only where a signed Medicine consent form is in place to ensure the safety of both child and staff member.

A selection of school staff have basic first aid training.


What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

At times it may be necessary to consult with outside agencies to receive their more specialised expertise. The agencies used by the school include:

  • SES
  • Educational Psychologist
  • North Suffolk Dyslexia Support
  • CAMHS (Child & Adolescent Mental Health Service)
  • Educational Welfare Officers
  • Hearing Impaired and Visually Impaired Advisors to support pupils with hearing/visual Impairment
  • Inclusion Team
  • Social Services
  • Speech & Language Therapy
  • Occupational Therapy
  • School Nurse


An Educational Psychologist is allocated to each school area. He/she would normally only work directly with pupils who needs are felt to be quite considerable and have not responded well to the interventions previously put in place for them. This involvement is generally planned after consultation and discussion with the SENDCo, class teacher and parents. The psychologist will generally meet with the parent and give feedback after the assessment has been completed. He/she will offer advice to the school and parent/carers on how to best support the pupil in order to take their learning forward.


What training are the staff supporting children and young people with SEND had or are having?

Members of staff will receive training where the need is identified. Examples include:

  • Lego Therapy
  • Beat Dyslexia
  • Power of 2/Plus 1 interventions
  • Intensive interaction


How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

We endeavour to make all activities and school trips available to all.

Risk assessments are carried out and procedures are put in place to enable all children to participate. However, if it is deemed that an intensive level of 1:1 support is required a parent or carer may be asked to accompany their child during the activity.


How accessible is the school environment?

As a school we are happy to discuss individual access requirements.

Please refer to our Accessibility Plan for more information.


How will the school prepare and support my child when joining the School or transferring to a new school?

Many strategies are in place to enable the pupil’s transition to be as smooth as possible.

These include:

  • discussions between the previous or receiving schools prior to the pupil joining/leaving.
  • additional visits are also arranged for pupils who need extra time in their new school.
  • the SENDCo is always willing to meet parents/carers prior to their child joining the school.
  • secondary school staff visit pupils prior to them joining their new school and pupils have many opportunities to spend time in their new setting.
  • liaison with the SENDCos from the secondary schools to pass on information regarding SEND pupils.
  • where a pupil may have more specialised needs, a separate meeting may be arranged with the Schools SENDCo, the secondary school SENDCo, the parents/carers and where appropriate the pupil.


How are the school’s resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

The SEN budget is allocated each financial year. The money is used to provide additional support or resources dependant on individual needs. Suffolk Local Authority also has provision for High Tariff Needs Funding – this is top up funding the school can apply for in order to support children with specific needs that are above and beyond what can be supported by the general SEN allowance. The additional provision may be allocated after discussion with the class teacher at pupil progress meetings or if a concern has been raised by them at another time during the year. Resources may include deployment of staff, staff training, specialist equipment, intervention programmes and is dependent on individual needs.

Some children with an EHCP also have a personal budget, this is agreed with the Local Authority. Parents and pupils will have a say in how this is used. You will be told by the Local Authority if you qualify for a personal budget and this would be allocated where there are specific needs that are significantly different to what is usually available.


How is the decision made about how much support my child will receive?

These decisions are made in consultation with the class teacher and the SENDCo. Decisions are based upon termly tracking of pupil progress and as a result of assessments by outside agencies.

During their school life, if further concerns are identified due to the pupil’s lack of progress or well-being then other interventions will be arranged.


How will I be involved in discussions about and planning for my child’s education?

The voice of pupils and parents is very important in the planning process and we will encourage parents to be involved in the decision-making process. This may be through:

  • discussions with the class teacher
  • during parents’ evenings
  • during discussions with the SENDCo or other professionals
  • parents are encouraged to comment on their child’s provision with possible suggestions that could be incorporated.

Your class teacher and the SENDCo are also available to discuss your child’s progress as often as required. The SENDCo also holds regular SENDCo surgeries – these are held half-termly and are an opportunity to meet with the SENDCo to discuss your child with them.

When outside agencies are involved with your child we will discuss any reports or recommendations with you.

Who can I contact for further information?

If you wish to discuss your child’s educational needs or are unhappy about something regarding your child’s schooling please contact the school office to arrange a meeting with the child’s teacher and/or school SENDCo in the first instance.